Need thermal paste on AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb ?

13 replies to this topic

#1 Samfolds

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 04:23 AM

Hey guys!

So my friend just bought a AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb @ 3.0 GHz and he asked me to help him mount it to the mobo. Does it come with a pre-applied thermal paste or should I put some myself?

Thank you!

Samfolds

#2 HaCkEr

AMD Fanboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3229 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 04:43 AM

it comes pre applied on the heatsink itself!

#3 Nofear

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 04:47 AM

if you look at the heatsink there should be grey paste on it
Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 Samfolds

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 04:58 AM

Thanks for the quick answers :D

Where can I find this kind of info btw? I googled it and checked the specs on newegg.ca but couldn't find a source stating that it did have a pre-applied thermal paste :(

Samfolds

#5 Nofear

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 05:06 AM

it costs manufacturers like nothing to machine apply thermalpaste perfectly so its pretty much on all stock heatsinks now
Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 Nate

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 06:14 AM

I would suggest getting an after market heatsink/fan.

Edited by Sgt.Bacon Bits, 20 August 2010 - 06:14 AM.

Posted Image

#7 dirtylarryuk

PC GAmes Guru

• Editor
  • 5841 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 07:32 AM

View PostSgt.Bacon Bits, on 20 August 2010 - 06:14 AM, said:

I would suggest getting an after market heatsink/fan.

Stock fans and the stock paste supplied is fine for a semi decent case for running at stock with 3-5 cases fans , with C*E and speedstep and other eco techs built into AMD and Intel Cpu's. So if your running at stock and only using Intel or AMD turbo for single thread boosts as the OC and have other eco techs on in the bios "Stock" is generally fine (fugley, but fine).

If your going to run your own OC, you need to apply a quality thermal paste to a quality heatsink and in many cases also upgrade the stock fans in a case and more genric fans supplied with most heatsinks to get reliable low heat results for 20-40% Oc's on air. you also need a thermal paste remover or alchol wipes tor emove the current paste from CPU.

Promatech megahelim and corsair H50-H70 being examples being used with highflow fans and quality thermal paste.

[Posted Image

PC: i7 2600k 4.9Ghz, P67, FT02 SE, Gigabyte Titan, 4GB DDR3,256GB M4 x2

OCZRevo 2 x2 SSD 240 GB, G930 7.1. RAT 5, Corsair K60
DISPLAYS:2D 27" IPS 60Hz Dell 1440p 6ms U2711 - 120" 21:9 100Hz DLP 0.1ms, 29" Dell IPS 60Hz 29" 21:9

#8 Samfolds

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 12:29 PM

Thanks for the precision Larry :)

He told me he won't OC at all so I'll stick with the stock fans and thermal paste.

Can you tell me a bit more about thermal paste remover ? In a near future, I will probably buy an after-market heat sink for my Phenom 1090T and I don't want to screw it up :o. Brands, How to's, Advices etc...

Thanks!

Samfolds

#9 HaCkEr

AMD Fanboy

• Members
  • 3229 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 05:56 PM

I pretty much just use the softest tissue paper available at my place! and by soft i mean SOFT! Then i wipe it form the processor, 3-5 times(different tissue each time) and then do the same with the heat sink and everything works out fine for me.... as u can see i run 3.8 @ 1.56V with 56 max with only 1 exhaust fan and 2 fans on the 212+!

#10 dirtylarryuk

PC GAmes Guru

• Editor
  • 5841 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 06:17 PM

View PostSamfolds, on 20 August 2010 - 12:29 PM, said:

Thanks for the precision Larry :)

He told me he won't OC at all so I'll stick with the stock fans and thermal paste.

Can you tell me a bit more about thermal paste remover ? In a near future, I will probably buy an after-market heat sink for my Phenom 1090T and I don't want to screw it up :o. Brands, How to's, Advices etc...

Thanks!

Samfolds
#

I Use the akasa stuff costs about £4 a bottle and last for years. OCUk sell stuff as well you applu leave it then wipe it off and it makes the CPu look shiney and ew and removes the trace metals so a new paste won't mix with the old. As some of the more decent pastes hate the stuff Intela and AMD use.

one thing to remeber with the stock paste on the stock fans is it takes a few days to settle down. So In the first few hours you can get some wild differnce in temps on cores. My new Q9400 with stock fan was 10c higher on core 1 than core 4 after 24 hours they are all 40c lol. Alot of people panic and rip the heatsink off then try and reseat it. and it's just down the fact the pads need 24 hours + to melt over the CPU.

Edited by dirtylarryuk, 20 August 2010 - 06:21 PM.

[Posted Image

PC: i7 2600k 4.9Ghz, P67, FT02 SE, Gigabyte Titan, 4GB DDR3,256GB M4 x2

OCZRevo 2 x2 SSD 240 GB, G930 7.1. RAT 5, Corsair K60
DISPLAYS:2D 27" IPS 60Hz Dell 1440p 6ms U2711 - 120" 21:9 100Hz DLP 0.1ms, 29" Dell IPS 60Hz 29" 21:9

#11 Samfolds

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 06:44 PM

View Postdirtylarryuk, on 20 August 2010 - 06:17 PM, said:

My new Q9400 with stock fan was 10c higher on core 1 than core 4 after 24 hours they are all 40c lol. Alot of people panic and rip the heatsink off then try and reseat it. and it's just down the fact the pads need 24 hours + to melt over the CPU.
Great insight thanks! :D

HADES - The gamer within said:

I pretty much just use the softest tissue paper available at my place! and by soft i mean SOFT!
You use no product to liquify the paste?

Thanks again!

Samfolds

#12 HaCkEr

AMD Fanboy

• Members
  • 3229 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 06:53 PM

View PostSamfolds, on 20 August 2010 - 06:44 PM, said:

Great insight thanks! :D

You use no product to liquify the paste?

Thanks again!

Samfolds

nope!

#13 Challenger

Network Whiz

• Administrators
  • 2243 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 07:28 PM

I use arcticlean It was a minimal cost and the bottles have lasted ages - I've done many re-applies. Probably done 10-15 cleans with it and there is still loads left.

Also Tissues is a VERY bad idea lint will get left on the surface also not using any sort of alcohol based cleaner is also a bad idea as there are little micro channels on the surface of the cpu that the compound melts into and without using a liquid cleaner these channels will still be full of old paste, This reduces the surface area for the new compound so reduces the effectiveness of it.

The best thing I have found is coffee filters as they are lint free. I use some sort of store card or a business card to remove the majority of the paste then use the arcticlean to dissolve the rest and remove that with the coffee filters.

For the sake of a few quid for a bottle of cleaner it is worth it - even if it is only a few degrees difference.

#14 Revorocks

The cake is a lie.

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1710 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 10:41 PM

lol I just clean my CPU with brake/carb cleaner, then wipe it with tissues till clean and put on the fresh stuff. I'm not that fussed about temps, when I'm running at 4GHz they don't go above 65C so I'm fine with that.

IF you're an extreme overclocker, where u need every last bit of cooling you can get, then yes do it the proper way, but if you just need to re-apply it and you just use
the pc for general use I wouldn't bother with all these cleaners. Just wipe if off and apply fresh stuff. Just my opinion
Posted Image