Reduce Windows 7 installation size (useful for small ssd)

6 replies to this topic

#1 shalomyo

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 07:36 PM

I will give a tip on how to reduce the installation (on the hdd) size with windows 7 using an app called RT seven lite

Posted Image

using this method i managed to get win 7 (64bit) to only use 7gb and so far everything works flawlessly u can do this to both 32bit and 64nit however 32bit will use even less space, note this will get rid of certain features in windows

tested so far Bad company 2, stalker pripyat and starcraft 2

After you download the app u will need to get Microsoft WAIK

You can use ur original Win 7 dvd for this since the app will extract everything out of it

but once u got the whole app up and running and loaded windows 7 installation onto it theres a good guide to follow

but to make this things simpler just edit the following preset "C:\Program Files\Rockers Team\RT7 Lite\Preset"
with what i got below

Spoiler

This post has been promoted to an article

Edited by Challenger, 18 January 2011 - 09:31 PM.

#2 ExtremeGrandpa

OSnapItzUrDog-Tag's

• 2194 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 09:22 PM

Interesting method, I will have to do some research further into it. When I needed a light weight win 7 app i just used a copy of win 7 starter edition used for netbooks.

But you may want to put that long list into a couple of rows to shorten the post some.

EG

#3 Challenger

Network Whiz

• Administrators
  • 2243 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 09:33 PM

Looks sweet. I'm always fairly cautious however of removing stuff from os installs! So I tend just to move me games between my RevoDrive and a "fast enough for old games" 1tb drive.

p.s. I moved your config into a spoiler to shorten the post length.

#4 shalomyo

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 10:53 PM

Thank you for fixing up my post

i also came across vista x64 which was only 570mb in size (the iso file)!!!

that vista was bare and naked but still worked rather well although it was missing .NET which raised some problems with certain app

so far on the lite win 7......

i got steam up and running with metro 2033, operation flashpoint 2,napoleon total war, gta 4 and last but not least crysis

also the number of services running on the backround has been reduced, freeing up more resources

View PostExtremeGrandpa, on 18 January 2011 - 09:22 PM, said:

Interesting method, I will have to do some research further into it. When I needed a light weight win 7 app i just used a copy of win 7 starter edition used for netbooks.

win 7 starter is good but u cant get x64 version of it

Edited by shalomyo, 18 January 2011 - 11:00 PM.

#5 ExtremeGrandpa

OSnapItzUrDog-Tag's

• 2194 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:23 PM

View Postshalomyo, on 18 January 2011 - 10:53 PM, said:

Thank you for fixing up my post

i also came across vista x64 which was only 570mb in size (the iso file)!!!

that vista was bare and naked but still worked rather well although it was missing .NET which raised some problems with certain app

so far on the lite win 7......

i got steam up and running with metro 2033, operation flashpoint 2,napoleon total war, gta 4 and last but not least crysis

also the number of services running on the backround has been reduced, freeing up more resources

win 7 starter is good but u cant get x64 version of it

You are quite correct there is no 64 bit version of Win 7 starter. for super lightweight usage I use a small Linux distro as well. Some of the Linux distro's are getting right user friendly now.

And good work on scaling the OS down without trashing it. How much registry editing did you have to do ?

#6 shalomyo

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:33 PM

View PostExtremeGrandpa, on 18 January 2011 - 11:23 PM, said:

You are quite correct there is no 64 bit version of Win 7 starter. for super lightweight usage I use a small Linux distro as well. Some of the Linux distro's are getting right user friendly now.

And good work on scaling the OS down without trashing it. How much registry editing did you have to do ?
i didnt even touch the registry manually

the RT 7 app does it all for you since u can remove services aswell, so it saves u messing about in the registry

#7 dirtylarryuk

PC GAmes Guru

• Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5841 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 04:48 AM

View Postshalomyo, on 18 January 2011 - 11:33 PM, said:

i didnt even touch the registry manually

the RT 7 app does it all for you since u can remove services aswell, so it saves u messing about in the registry

there are quite a few methods of doing this although you will find so many games shove .net and visual C++ crap back on windows gets bigger rather fast. i reckon 50% of games I own on steam try to do that when ever i install them.

The problem with doing this is some of the services and parts removed can be REALLY important for security and get upgrade and then a patch won't update them and your machine is wide open.

And to be honest my new rig boots nilla WIN7 in 7 seconds at the cost of using 28GB of SSD space used (and or reseved) machine power is so fast now its getting almost piontless to try and make stuff smaller! And even the ssd's are getting larger fast and cheaper.

so although it can be fun to see how small you can make a OS, It's not something i recommend on your main rig as you can come a cropper security and patch wise at a later date.

i just wish steam would support instal a game on a SSD or HDD you know i would like Mafia 2 on the £1 per GB SSD so it costs me £12 in storage and then kane and lynch 2 on the 3pence per GB HDD. Without having to use stupid 3rd party apps.

Edited by dirtylarryuk, 19 January 2011 - 04:51 AM.

[Posted Image

PC: i7 2600k 4.9Ghz, P67, FT02 SE, Gigabyte Titan, 4GB DDR3,256GB M4 x2

OCZRevo 2 x2 SSD 240 GB, G930 7.1. RAT 5, Corsair K60
DISPLAYS:2D 27" IPS 60Hz Dell 1440p 6ms U2711 - 120" 21:9 100Hz DLP 0.1ms, 29" Dell IPS 60Hz 29" 21:9